Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 179 Appreciation

This morning I woke up early as usual and had my shower and walked into work. The routine of the day does not take long to kick in or the mind start to wander. Our minds capability to skip over details is truly amazing. Take for instance when you are driving long distances, sometimes there are gaps in your perception and you are amazed that you missed seeing something. Your focus, which is the destination, can blur or even wipe out the journeys details. This happens to me frequently, however not as much as when you are directly exposed to your surrounds, like when you walk or cycle.

Like many things at this time in the world, isolation is the result of comfort. And experience is warped by the isolation in which we place ourselves. What I mean is that when you drive only your hands and feet are involved where as when you walk the whole body and your senses are involved. Walking may take longer, be tiring, and maybe even difficult depending on distance, but at least you are engaged with the world. In a car your experience of your surroundings is limited. Outside, you see the sights and smell the roses and hear the sounds. How else are we supposed to have an appreciation for something, other than with experience?

So for me today, I am grateful for the walk, the wind, the smell of grass, and the sounds of the trees. Spending time focused on the world also gives me time to appreciate it along with its creator. We as humans have been given so much and our original job was to take care of it. I often wonder if we would not have a better perspective of the world, God and ourselves if we rejected the technologies that distract us today. If we were to take a giant leap back in time and worked the land with our hands, would that closeness to our food source and time spent with creation itself give us a better appreciation for God and our place in the world? I mean I thank God for all my possessions for they were given to me; but how much more would I be, if my faith was put into practice by relying on him for everything including food from the land? Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment