Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 209 Close Call

Well yesterday evening on the way home I had a little bit of an incident, I almost got run over by a cabbie. Both of us turned into the same parking lot just in different entrances. He was speeding and I had to crash my bike in order to avoid him simply because my breaks can't break that fast. Now what you don't know is that I wear special shoes which clip into the pedals, I was unable to disengage them as a fell. So now I have a bit of road rash on my left elbow and have been left surprised that nothing else was damaged.

Of course this near miss kind of rattled me and my attitude toward the driver was not the most kind. But as I reflect on the whole mess, I find myself thankful that all I received was a scrape. Two days ago a fellow cyclist got hit by a garbage truck and didn't make it. He died. I on the other hand am still alive, and am very happy to be so. Just the thought of being a second quicker makes me shudder. I would have been right in front of the car instead of beside it.

The thing about close calls is that they are kind of like a shake, a wake up, or a shock back to reality. For me this reminded me of all the things I sometimes overlook or take for granted. It has taught me to appreciate everything and I mean really appreciate, with my whole heart. My life, my wife, my home, my family, my friends, my church, the food in my possession and the rest of the provisions that God has in trusted to me. For all of these things I am grateful. And to the driver who was probably in as much shock as I, may God forgive me for my harsh words and bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment