Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 106 - Slow Down

Phones ringing, computers beeping, and ears are peppered with questions. More than ever before our days, hours, minutes and seconds seem to be squeezed to the maximum. Interruptions are now the norm and instant answers and replies are considered a reasonable request. It is no wonder that our minds are trained to be impatient and we are easily frustrated.

Mondays for me seem to be the calmest of days and my best opportunity to slow down reassess and rest. Like a car that is only driven at 100km an hour, sometimes it is hard to gear down and do 50 or 60km. But in order to be healthy in both mind in spirit that is what we should all be doing at least once a week so we don’t over heat.

How can we maintain perspective on our lives if we are never moving slow enough to notice the details? The easiest way I have found to implement this is daily prayer, reflection and meditation. It focuses me on what really matters and gives me an opportunity to breathe and reset my compass. After all, we are on a journey and if you don’t check your course from time to time you may end up in the wrong place.

This past week has been difficult for me as I come to the realization that no matter how much effort I employ it is not enough to get me to my destination. At some point I will have to rely on another, Christ. So this new perspective of giving each day more and more to him is difficult; after all, “I want”, is the natural urge in everyone. Satisfying ones own desires and perceived needs, is an issue we cannot overcome alone. The Holy Spirit within us must be given control and we must take the passengers seat.
But as the word declares, “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” Philippians 4:13 (King James Version). And I will have patience, abide in the word and continue putting one foot in front of the other, learning to follow and not lead. Submitting my will to the Father who promises “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28 (King James Version).

No comments:

Post a Comment