Total Pageviews

Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 119 - Joy

A study in my recent joy and where is comes from.

A small three letter word and yet much weightier I think than the sum of it’s total letters. Much like God, G_O_D, J_O_Y embodies more than just the environment or current circumstance that we find ourselves. It is not a thing to be had, but an experience that is well, experienced. And this experience is something that only God can gift to you.

Here are a few verses, which show us the origin of Joy.

Ecclesiastes 2:26 (King James Version)

 For God giveth to a man that is good in his sight wisdom, and knowledge, and joy: but to the sinner he giveth travail, to gather and to heap up, that he may give to him that is good before God. This also is vanity and vexation of spirit.

Psalm 35:9 (King James Version)

 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

Matthew 25:21 (King James Version)

His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Now I know what you are thinking, But Ed I am happy all the time, I know how to have fun and get enjoyment out of life.

But here is the thing about happiness; it’s based on external factors. Activities, Outings, group events. You know things like snow tubing. By the way Merna and I had a blast.

Things like this are fun; but they are also time based and fade, kind of like our memories. Joy; on the other hand, much like God is not. Joy is everlasting, unchanging, and irrevocable and originates from God and is contained within us.

Luke 2:10 (King James Version)

 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

Luke 1:14 (King James Version)

 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

Matthew 13:44 (King James Version)

 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Let me put it to you this way. Happiness is a worldly concept, where we are primarily concerned with ourselves and how we feel. Thinking like this can consume our lives with the false need to fill our days with pleasures of the flesh. The problem with this way of behavior is that we being sinners are never satisfied. Enough is really never enough and the satisfaction of happiness is fleeting.

James 1:14-17 (King James Version)

 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
 Do not err, my beloved brethren.
 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Joy on the other hand is a gift from God and is not made to satisfy the flesh but the spirit. You may ask yourselves how will I know if I have Joy and I am hear to tell you that most of you have it already. Joy is a gift of the spirit and is imparted at the time of conversion.

Romans 14:17 (King James Version)

 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

So if you have received Christ, you have also received his Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit which include Joy. I remember when first asked the Lord to come into my life and truly repented of my sin and asked him to cleanse my heart. What an experience I felt a sense of relief, gratefulness, purity and the overwhelming sense of heartache and joy. Tears streamed down my face and it was as if my heart was going to burst.

This is the feeling or JOY I am referring to. Only when our hearts are emptied sin and the things of the world do we truly experience the Holy Spirit and the awesome gift of Joy, which he brings.

Galatians 5:22-25 (King James Version)

 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

The amount of Joy that we experience increases the deeper we seat ourselves within Christ. And unlike Happiness, Joy originates from within and emanates outward affecting those we interact with. Our Joy is found in Christ and the sharing of his hope. Like Moses and the glow of his face, we as fellow brothers and sisters have the ability to also restore one another’s Joy. So at times when we gather, let us build up and exhort one another and ensure we are all walking in the Joy of true love, his love.

Hebrews 10:25 (King James Version)

 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Philippians 2:1-5 (King James Version)

If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,
Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.
Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

John 15:10-12 (King James Version)

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

No comments:

Post a Comment