Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day 238 Windows

Since Fall is almost upon us I have been working in overdrive the last week or so getting things in the house prepared for; that's right I said it winter. Our house is a little older than most and all of the windows are wooden and have a very fancy spring action built into the sides. As is typical in older homes most of our windows have been painted shut and no longer function in the way they were intended and maintenance has not been done for quite some time. So my job over the last couple of days has been to reverse engineer said window, take it apart clean and repair them and get them back into working order, and insulate the storm windows. O Yeah and I forgot that I have also been removing the old dry caulking that has shrunk away from were the window meets the brick, fun wow. To say that this job is easy would be a stretch, the front window alone took over two hours to complete.

That being said, I have the great satisfaction of getting a job done right and knowing that I will benefit in the long run. I also will know my wife is happy that we have cleaning working windows that she can now move without the use of a hammer. On top of this I am sure that our heat bill will be reduced and the house itself will look a little better than before. Since the summer began we have been working here and there on small and big projects and it is nice to finish up a few things. I know that this is an on going project and that it will never end as professed by my co-worker Jeff. But to tell you the truth I like the work and I think it is fun, I still remember the kick I got out of installing my first toilet. It is the small things in life that are worth the most, and I thank God for all that we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment